I Stand with the Xingu River
JUNE 1, 2011
This photo, which I got from La Mina Circle in Los Angeles, reveals a tragic moment in the politics of the earth. Chief Raoni of the Kayapó people broke down crying when he learned that the Brazilian president, Dilma Rousseff. approved construction to begin on the Belo Monte hydroelectric plant & dam project on Xingu [.].
SAC in 2016
JULY 5, 2016
The following is reblogged from the Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness’ Open Access blog.
Square Dance in the Rural West: An Oral History
JULY 26, 2016
Check out my new article in the Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS) online journal. It’s based on interviews with my elders, who can really tell a story, and contains small photos of those faboo 1950s dance outfits. Best of all is getting to witness how community dance like square dance or contra dance forges […].
student loan saga
FEBRUARY 2, 2016
It’s done. just lovingly placed every paper related to my student loans in the recycling bin. They are paid off. It only took me 14 years. (:-0) My hair is white, just like the jokes say, but by George, they are paid off. The balance due, once over $45,000 USD, is now zero. […].
What my students learned this semester
DECEMBER 6, 2015
Start paying attention The difference between me and you (or anything, for that matter) is the thought that creates that reality. need to be radical in my love, my thoughts, my actions, my acceptance and surrender – to get to the root, the seat of life and growth, which is the seat of […].
SEPTEMBER 17, 2015
We who enjoy material prosperity in the modern day Industrial Growth Society are expected to chuck out imperfect possessions that we don’t use anymore and go buy new ones. However, I like to repair and repurpose things, so I’ve been doing some mending. Some of the clothes on the pile are nearly worn out. But […].
Dances with Klingons
JULY 19, 2015
At a recent contradance, my day was made when someone jokingly asked how to say, “thank you for the dance” in Klingon – and someone else actually knew. Daniel Morse, who translates Chinese texts for a living, turns out to also be fluent in Klingon. Without batting an eyelash or pulling out a device, he […].
“Making Thought Whole Again” Evolver event
JUNE 11, 2015
“Making Thought Whole Again.” ” That’s the topic on which I’ll be in invited dialogue with host Glenn Aparicio Parry, linguist Matthew Bronson, and philosopher Ashok Kumar Gangadean as part of Native Wisdom for Modern Times on Evolver Learning Lab on July 16, 2015.
Dreams at 98
MAY 6, 2015
My dad has been having dreams about my long-dead mom. At first he didn’t want to tell me their content. They’re sexy dreams; sweet dreams. He’s in bed with her. He gets up to go to the bathroom, and they are conversing. So simple; so sweet. He often feels now that she, or his also-deceased […].
Thugamar Féin am Samhradh Linn
MAY 1, 2015
Today is May 1, and the flowers are blooming, sometimes even through the snow so you know they are serious and not about to back down anymore. Happy Beltaine! Here’s a festive Maypole (earth-fertility symbol) and an old song in Irish to celebrate. According to An Chuallacht Ghaol Naofa, this traditional Irish song Thugamar […].
Jay Bird Service
APRIL 21, 2015
I am allergic to bee and wasp stings, so when I realized that wasps were building a large nest beneath the porch roof right above my front door, I naturally felt concerned. Every time the door opened, there was a high chance that a wasp would fly in – and then I would have to […].
Happy Pi Day!
MARCH 14, 2015
Happy Pi day! As you likely know, pi (?) is a mathematical constant found in all circles. Perhaps you remember the old joke from geometry class: “?R2? No, pie are round.” ” (Hardy-har.) Since Spiritual Ecopsychology fun geometry Pi Day
Coming Soon: The Mindful Guitarist
FEBRUARY 4, 2015
My friend Michael DeLalla‘s first book is about to be born: The Mindful Guitarist. Michael is not only one of the finest fingerstyle guitarists I have ever heard, he possesses a deep soul that shines through his music, along with a keen and quixotic mind. This book is not only for guitar players. Michael also […].
Stellar Days and Nights
FEBRUARY 3, 2015
* Hey contradancing folk, consider coming to a long weekend event in the lovely Colorado mountains later this month, Stellar Days and Nights. Excellent food, dancing ecstasy, great music, and relaxing fun. It’s held in a summer camp setting, so you get to stay in rustic cabins with running water and dance and eat together […].
New Drum Born
DECEMBER 22, 2014
Shamanic drum, a new one, just made for L.C. spring 2011. Arts Shamanic Arts crafts deerskin drum handcrafted pine sacred Shamanic drum
DECEMBER 19, 2014
Solabration! Tomorrow night in Denver, join me in celebrating the winter solstice at this engaging extravaganza. Now in its 29th year, this fest is a well-oiled combo of things to do (dancing, eating, caroling in 4-part harmony; yes you can!) And […]. Spiritual Ecopsychology
Boycott Black Friday
NOVEMBER 27, 2014
* This is a picture I took at an arts and crafts supply store — in September. Halloween decor I could handle when it was still 70 degrees out and school was just getting started, but Xmas stuff too?! “Beware the horror” indeed! Now it’s Thanksgiving Day as I write this, and the onslaught really […].
A Judge for the People
SEPTEMBER 15, 2014
I was on Jury Duty today. wasn’t selected to serve, but it would have been fun if I were because the judge was such a big souled person with a sense of humor. It turns out he’s the one who gave the green light to the resistance action of clerk Hillary Hall, who issued […].
Grist for the Mill
AUGUST 15, 2014
* (Reframe to stay AWAKE) Not a pain in the ass, not annoying miscommunication over incessant email, not a nasty fight with stepfamily over money, not a frightening illness, not losing dear friends far too young, with yet more in the pipeline out; sadness unending, not a super flattering compliment that makes me feel good […].
5:20 AM, another farewell
JULY 17, 2014
* 5:20 am Another dear friend lost to this world Her last message to me, with a continent between us, was, “Can’t talk right now: I’m on my way.” Did she confuse me with someone else? Or was there a deeper meaning? Just in case, I’m paying attention; watching for […].
Iñupiaq ancient lore in video game
MAY 11, 2014
* * Exciting news on the indigenous storytelling front: the Iñupiaq people (of the place currently known as northern Alaska) will soon release a video game based on their traditional stories. For those who haven’t the ability to physically sit at the feet of their First Nations elders and listen, what better way to get this […]. itchu?a)
MARCH 20, 2014
Happy Spring Equinox! The warmth and light are growing. What kind of seeds or life reboot Will you consider sowing? . Spiritual Ecopsychology equinox nature potential seasons Spring
“Dear Winter” letter
MARCH 2, 2014
* Dear Winter, Despite your many fine qualities, I’m sorry but I don’t think we are suitable as a long-term match. want to break up and start seeing other seasons, beginning with Spring. (I’d ideally love to be with Summer, but s/he is currently unavailable.) Please leave my home as soon as you can, […].
Farewell, Pete – and thanks
JANUARY 28, 2014
* “To my old brown earth, and to my old blue sky I now give these last few molecules of ‘I;’ And you who weep, and you who stand nearby, I do charge you not to cry: Guard well our human chain– Watch well you keep it strong As long as sun will shine. And […].
Our Wondrous World: Magnetism & Dog Poop
JANUARY 4, 2014
Statue by Adriano Cecioni, 1880: “Dog Defecating” * Ever wonder why on earth your dog twists and gyrates around in some area before deciding where to “go?” ” New research suggests that the reason dogs take so long to figure out where to poop is that they have an internal compass that they use to search […].
New Year Intention Meditation
DECEMBER 31, 2013
Happy new year! From the composting wisdom of our past years, may we all grow a strong, supple new year of life; one that shelters and feeds the singing birds of the soul. The environment has effects on us – body, mind and spirit. If we align our actions and thoughts with large natural movements […].
DECEMBER 21, 2013
* Winter Solstice in the northern hemisphere: it feels like winter is just getting started. Here in Colorado, the late December days alternate between relatively mild with lots of sun and below zero with violent winds or snow, then back again. It’s as though the earth is kind here, slowly giving us a chance to […].
European Ecopsych Conference in Hawai’i
SEPTEMBER 26, 2013
If you plan to be in Hawai’i at the end of Sept/beginning of October, please consider attending the 4th conference of the European Ecopsychology Society. Announcements Spiritual Ecopsychology conference ecopsychology EES European Ecopsychology Society Hawaii Nechung Temple Società Europea di Ecopsicologia teaching
SEPTEMBER 25, 2013
* Look how big some of these beauties are! Found at Walden Ponds, just east of Boulder, CO. At least somebody is benefiting from all this rain. *. All My Relations Photography Spiritual Ecopsychology boulder co flood humongous mushroom nature photography rain
Relationship with Stuff: Toy Stories
SEPTEMBER 22, 2013
* Gabriele Galimberti wandered the world to photograph children with their favorite toys. He would first play with the children so they would get to know one another a bit, then he’d do the photo shoot. think the project reveals some interesting insights into peoples’ relationship with our stuff — not only in the […].
It’s a wonderful day in the neighborhood
SEPTEMBER 18, 2013
Look at this full-screen. Really. It moved me to tears; perhaps it will you too. What a beautiful planet we live in – our precious life-giving jewel, and this is a reminder that our whole world is only one small gem glinting amongst the universe’s vast, countless riches. Please be kind to the people causing […].
AUGUST 16, 2013
I like to check Akismet once in awhile to see if its excellent spam-catching nets have inadvertently scooped up a genuine response to one of my posts. Today my creel holds some strange fish. One spam comment caught on this blog is so surreal I begin to wonder if it may have cosmic significance: “Maybe […].
Autocorrect Fail o’the day
AUGUST 6, 2013
My iPhone autocorrect fail of the day, sent to my neighbors who are currently away: “Would you be able to water my plants along with yours after you get back? If so, will leave monkey in yr apt.” ” Ha ha! — MY KEY, not a monkey. That would be quite the welcome-home surprise.
Brain Deposed as Seat of Consciousness
JULY 28, 2013
These days, most people take it for granted that the seat of consciousness is of course in the brain. “Brain dead” means the person as a whole is dead. The rest of the body is either servant to the brain, as in delivering enough oxygen for optimal functioning, or sort of an addendum. Witness the […].
physical merging upon death
JULY 6, 2013
My beloved father is 96 years old and still in relatively good health and sound mind, so right now I am appreciating that immensely. But knowing it a precarious situation, and also witnessing two dear friends go through the dying process right now from cancer, I’m aware of living close to the wild border edge […].
March Against Monsanto
MAY 24, 2013
March Against Monsanto everywhere tomorrow – including Boulder, CO at noon with me. It’s enough already. If Monsanto were a character in a Dr. Who episode or cowboy story, they would have been put away as irredeemable bad guys long ago! Time to make life imitate art. Want to learn more about why you should […].
Fall Has Sprung! contradance
MAY 3, 2013
I had a blast calling at the “Fall Has Sprung” contra dance fest in Grass Valley, California. Held every year in early November, this dance runs 12 hours long, from noon till midnight! There’s potluck food and comfy bleacher chairs available the entire time, so participants can dance some, have a snack or meal, rest, [.].
Happy May Day
MAY 1, 2013
… from Boulder, Colorado. Feels like we’ve slipped over the line into Narnia, where it’s “always winter but never Christmas.” (–C.S. Lewis: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe). Photography Spiritual Ecopsychology Beltaine boulder colorado nature snow weather